Hurricane Dorian’s track has shifted slightly south, and it is projected to approach Category 4 strength as it targets Florida early next week.
Here are 10 priorities to consider:
- Remove clutter from the area around your residence and offer to help neighbors prepare if they need assistance.
- Store valuable documents like legal papers, cherished photos and family mementos in waterproof boxes.
- Stock up on the basics of food, water, medicines for a weeks supply.
- Gas up your car and withdraw some cash for unexpected expenses in the wake of the storm.
- Keep a supply of batteries, supercharge your phone and back up your computer.
- Keep as calm as possible and don’t frighten children…comfort them and give them assurance that you love them and will protect them.
- Guard against shattered glass and stay in an interior location when winds blow.
- Keep your friends and loved ones in touch as much as possible.
- During the recovery period, obey all public safety orders.
- Consider supporting relief efforts with whatever time or money contributions you can afford.